Thursday, March 26, 2009

Galaxy monologues... Day 1

Seven years is a long time, but the way “Galaxy” began, it was worth the wait. I am not really into the Hall ‘funda’, which is such a rage here at IIT Kanpur. However, when one sees hordes of the usually sincere and studious students transforming into frenzied mobs, one’s enthusiasm is bound to rocket. My case was similar. I was asked by certain friends to join the Opening parade and I joined albeit a bit unwillingly. However, the moment I reached Hall 3, the electric atmosphere totally bedazzled me and suddenly I was part of the excited crowd. I got my face painted in the colours of our team and we began preparing for the parade. By now, I was so taken by the enthusiasm that I joined in the people who were playing tin cans in the front. With titillating beats and sky-renting slogans, we marched on the roads. It was an amazing moment, something words cannot describe.

We won the parade competition which set the tone for the rest of the events. However, soon we were reminded of the roller coaster ride that was in store with the shocking loss of our “declamation team”. In the night, we were supposed to take part in an antakshari which, though scheduled at 10 pm, started at 1 am. With the pride of the Hall at stake, our inability to answer in the first few rounds made us fear the consequences of losing the first major event. But then came a unique and rather weird song-memorizing round. We used some logic and it somehow got coupled with total dumbness on part of the other teams. In one round, we shot from being last to sitting comfortably first. The journey after that was pretty smooth with Tanmay (one of my teammates) cracking some good questions. We had some totally hilarious moments with Abhishek aka ‘Chomu’ (the other teammate) making certain other teams the butt of his wisecracks.

We ended the day at 3 am. No wonder, the next day began at 10 am with bunks in two classes. (You see, this still matters to me...  ). Some more events today... let’s see what happens as the day unfolds!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hall 3 ka tempo high hai !!! :DDD keep it up man....... when we were there, we won the galaxy every single time!!!