Sunday, April 18, 2010

Bidding Adieu: Part 1

I had thought of writing reminiscences from the past 4 years long back. What held me all this while was the fear of accepting the truth that the end is actually near. However, I guess it is high time we all accept the obvious and I would like to pen down everything while it is still fresh.

A more immediate occurrence that prompted me to get down to write was the informal announcement of the new Vox Populi editors yesterday, coupled with the 'last' Quiz Club Meet. These two institutions, if I may say, have been very close to my heart during my stay here. While I made certain attempts, some successful and others not so much, to give my contributions to these, the relationship was much more of a boon to me than to these clubs. I believe that my love for these clubs is borne out of the fact that somehow my identity in IITK was deeply intertwined to these establishments.

I cannot remember how many times I have fumed with rage when somebody dismissed Vox and its importance, how many times I have fought against the 'glam' clubs because I thought they were trying to overshadow the QC. Somewhere deep down, I fought because any such attack was very personal to me. Remembering the feeling I had when I held the first Vox edition published under our editorship still brings a smile to my face. It might sound a li'l gay but I, sort of, realized why people are so glad to hold their new-born babies.

Quizzing had been passion for me before I came to Kanpur. It was a strange and pleasant coincidence that 2 of my Bhais formed a team with me. I remember when Razdan suggested the name "Satanic Output" in the Fresher's Quiz and I thought this guy is from some other planet! I think we did quite well and the name stuck and gladly so :D. I probably haven't said this ever 'cause it sounds a bit gay :D but here it is: Razdan ke saath ek team mein quizzing ka maza kuch aur tha... Quizzing will never be the same without you! Maybe one day, some day, we'll be back and who knows, we might be real pros then! :) NMJ was also a delight and our team wouldn't have been the same without his dazzling literature and mythology answers. On a lighter note, it wouldn't have been the same without him shouting and verbally regretting every missed answer! :) And yeah, we couldn't have found better competitors than Hopelessly Hapless (Bong, UT n Venky). Remember how Bong's team and ours was at loggerheads all the time :D... Even long before the QC had the completely awesome gang we had now, I was pretty glad in this little nutty world of our own...

Ok, I don't think I have all the time and space in the world to recount every single incident that forms my memories of Vox n QC but here r some of them in a nutshell:

Vox: 1st article- An interview with Dr. Sanjay Mittal, Some ME reviews here n there, Hoshing n Madhusudan, Dainik Gadar, the tr8 by Satrah & Co., Layouting with Mohunta, MDM, Paro n Sulla; Working with Sak, Murgi n Rashmitha; working on the layout with Raza n Azam Bhai; worrying about distribution right in the midst of the endsems

QC: Fresher's Quiz, Being volley n Secy with Sripath, Nihilanth selection in 1st yr, Sunil and then Sameer, Techkriti Quiz by Barry, Megabucks Biz Quiz in 2nd yr, Infosys Quiz, Tata Crucible TV Appearance :), Being the Coordi, Hanging out at CCC or Hall 4 after the QC meets, Interacting with the bachchas n panji, bhaskar, amritha...

I might have forgotten or inadvertantly skipped some other events which I will definitely recount in the forthcoming posts. Till then, here's me thinking of the good ol' days!

No comments: