Thursday, April 11, 2013

The late night tea-time of the soul


I am quite the tea freak. Have always been. Considering the ritualistic fashion of tea drinking in my family, I often wonder if our ancestors migrated from China. Ah well, that could explain the tiny eyes… yowser!

My oddly timed requests for tea are often the subject of my friends’ amusement. There have been occasions, and many such, when after a scrumptious chicken meal accompanied by beer (ya mum! Only a little bit), I stretch myself and say, “You know what would be perfect now?!”, and I hear a collective sigh from the rest of the group.

A cup of tea serves loads of purposes. I totally believe that if there was anything that could replace the Hitchhiker’s towel, a cup of tea it would be. First and foremost, it is the refreshing taste. People believe that it is difficult to mess up making tea. For my part, I think making perfect tea is no ordinary man’s task. I would have had innumerable cups of tea at several different places. I am sure that most of them used comparable quality of milk and tea leaves. Yet, I remember the tastes having varied widely. That’s the thing with tea- and it is not just the taste; it is also about the aroma, the optimum amount of brew- every little ingredient an important part of the experience.

Tea is also the healthy man’s pack of smokes. Conversations begin and continue over tea. Friendships deepen as individuals spill their hearts out while casually sipping their cup of tea. Some of my most pleasant after-class memories feature holding a cup of tea and chatting away beside the college canteen. It offers the most preferred amount of break during office hours. Most people do think coffee is better suited. But believe me, tea is an equally refreshing and much healthier alternative. Try it. Though, the vending machine tea is hardly any good. Tell your mother to brew some for you. Rest assured, she would know.

Well, for me, tea is an extended dinner time, after-breakfast time - something to provide me the wanted boost shot any time of the day. Now that I think of it, add ‘tea’ to Ishan, and you have the energy of a pace bowler.

Ok, if you intend to kill me for the bad humour, please let me have my last wish. Aikta cup cha!

2 comments:

Posting Load and Truck said...

Please keep up the good work.

Suman Kher said...

Love the way you've picked up something so simple and built your post around it!