Saturday, September 7, 2013

On behalf of the thin-kind

I have been blogging rather frequently of late. So, yay! And today's a first as I write this blog waiting at the Mumbai domestic airport on my way home. I have a few minutes to kill. I had planned to take a quick nap reclining on the lounge chair, yet, as I leaned back, my head banged against a bald pate. Turning around quickly, I muttered a few apologies and gave up on the idea of the quick nap. Maybe, I will do that on the flight.

So, well airports. Always an interesting picture here. Always amazing to see hordes of people even in the wee hours of the morning. Ok, I'll cut to chase because my flight is boarding already. Recently, all the airlines decided to cut down on the facilities, so to say, unbundling them into value added services. One of the impacts there was the reduction in permissible check-in baggage. It's down from 20 to a mere 15kg on domestic flights now! Quite a trouble, I must say. I had little to carry on my trip today and yet I scraped through with a 14kg check-in. Charges for each extra kilo are rather steep.

So, here's my point. I, me the human being, am not a very 'weighty' individual - in purely physical senses of the word. As I stood in the queue, I noticed quite a few, let's just say, bulky individuals boarding the same flight. Darn, I am sure some of them weighed twice as much as I do. They get a 15kg check-in limit. So do I. Sort of unfair, don't you think?

The time has come for my oppressed kind to raise our voice. I, hereby, urge the several airlines in service to give my argument its due consideration. Ok, I really have to rush for my flight now.

----

Holla! Just another shout-out. I thought, now that I had the opportunity, I would grace my blo…
…og with a few words penned at cruising altitude.

Here, floating merrily above the clouds,
Far, far away from the madding crowds,
My blogging instincts are at an all-time high,
And I would post this right now, if only my plane miraculously got wi-fi.

Off to sleep for the next hour and a half.

1 comment:

Diwakar Narayan said...

Yeah, those weighty individuals. I once had one sitting beside me and I remember going through a lot of pain whenever I stood to visit the loo :)