Monday, July 1, 2013

Food Review: Dakshinayan

Location: Walkeshwar, Mumbai

One simply does not walk into Sobo-land expecting a typical South Indian meal experience. But, then there is Dakshinayan.

I got acquainted to the eatery during my first trip to Mumbai, but it was only a month back that I, along with my flatmates from the 'South of Vindhyas' revisited this one. They love the food. And this is the first +1.

I have my favourites too. Having tried the rava dosai, mysore masala dosai, and the other permutations and combinations, I must compliment the preparation. However, one has to agree that getting the dosai right is like a hygiene test for an authentic South Indian food place. Dakshinayan has more to offer. One can get the mini idlis, which are nice to eat and rather cute! There is a spring dosai which has an average person's monthly intake of cheese as garnish.

Major attractions include 'Sweet Pongal', which is utterly true to its 'sweet' name. I found it pretty delightful, and again it has been hugely thumbs-upped by my Southie-tongued friends. Beverages obviously include filter coffee which I would classify as ordinary. I would suggest trying out the 'ginger ale' on the menu. Great fizz, a moderate dash of ginger and compliments the food very well.

The seating area is rather small. Try heading here on a Sat-Sun night and be prepared to wait for atleast 10-20 minutes. Also, remember that the place opens only at 11am, so it is not really your breakfast haunt. The interiors are anything but plush, and look more so considering the location of the restaurant. Also, this one's most definitely atleast a 15-20 min drive from your place of residence. If it is not, send me your number. I would love to mooch some money off your overflowing coffers.

Also, very easy on the pocket. Definitely, worth a visit.

Food: 7.5/10
Ambience: 3.5/10
Service: 7/10
Value for money: 8.5/10

No comments: