Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Time to read...

I have been in Kanpur for the past twenty days. Well, yes, I have my summer break but I am doing a summer project so I am braving the heat wave without the usual coolers and ACs. However the stay has been real fun. I had firmly made up my mind that I will rejuvenate my reading habits which have reached near extinction of late. With high ambitions, I caught hold of "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. The first few pages were really ambiguous. Moreover, the mammoth size of the book and the illegibly small print got me less and less excited until I finally gave it up.

Then I chanced upon Chetan Bhagat's "The 3 mistakes of my life". Now, the size of the book and my past experience with Bhagat's books encouraged me to pick it up. Little wonder I finished it in close to 3 hrs. There's something about this guy's writing that just grips you. This one's handled graver issues than the previous books. The way the author has written about religious divides in Gujarat (the Godhra issue, etc.) is worth some appreciation. The plot is gripping and the language is in-your-face, as always. This one is definitely, at least, a one-time read.

Before I sign-off, I have an interesting observation. Bhagat has written three books. We have three protagonists whose names were Hari (FPS), Shyam (one night...) and Govind (3 mistakes). Can you find the connection here???

P.S. I have started off with "Atlas Shrugged" again and I am more determined this time around... :)

2 comments:

Ravi Chakraborty said...

hmm,when are u giving me "3 mistakes of my life"?
welcome to blogosphere :)

Chhillar said...

Good, so you are blogger too now :) and I guess the connection is that the leads are named after Krishna?